This week the White Rock Hall which was built
approximately 100 years ago, will mark its centenary with
demolition for the sake of progress.
On June 30th, community members decided with
some regret, to sell the structure, the site of innumerable
card parities and other social events, to the provincial
transportation department. The removal of the hall, which will
be carried out by members of the community association, will
allow for the extension of the Ridge Bridge.
The hall has stood perched on the hillside
between the Gaspereau Road and the Ridge since shortly after
the construction of the local Baptist church in 1881,
according to White Rock's historian, the late Charles O"Leary.
Local branch members of the Sons of Temperance organization,
known as the division, had a role in the hall's
In 1917, the deed to the hall was turned over
to three trustees for one dollar. At 94 Walter Young is the
only one of the trio sill living, but both Everett Forsythe
and Howard O'Leary have descendants living today in White
The hall continues to be used for temperance
meetings, pie socials with Joe Smith as auctioneer and school
concerts. Opal Parker can recall playing the piano in the hall
on many events. her late husband Nat assisted some of the
dramatic productions by creating footlights from tin cans and
may adults living in White Rock will remember
being lead out of the hall when natures called. There were
never any washrooms installed in the structure but it was
always been a gathering place for social and recreational
After the Second World War, coming home
parities were held in the hall. The women of the community
held regular quilting parties and wedding showers for young
married people of the village.
After the formation of the White Rock Hall
Community Association in 1977, the size and lack of
conveniences in the public hall became more apparent.
Eventually the decision was made to purchase a piece of land
down on the Gaspereau Road for erection of a new